Memory Of Past


NIMRA BEIG

Just one evening, and my whole life was completely changed and transformed. I used to live my life in the world of fantasies without worries, tantrums, allegations, and judgments. As we all were entirely busy in pampering an orphan girl, our neighbor. Meanwhile, the sky was covered with deadly and pitch-dark clouds as if something bad is going to happen to me. I looked out of the window, looked around there were fearful echoes coming out from nowhere. I was lost and then someone knocked at the door, it was probably our neighbor, and he yelled, ‘Who is in the house?’ ‘Did you found the Jan?’ these words are still striking me. For a moment I was numb, dumbstruck and when I got to know about Jan I fell unconscious. Jan was missing, he was kid though. We kept searching for him, in fact, every single villager tried hard to get Jan. The wind was blowing immensely hard and sky was covered with terrible and terrorized clouds, there was probably a hidden message in that, but I wasn’t that much mature to get that. Darkness was everywhere and then I thought that my life is stepping into darkness forever. Today when I go back and think about those four years which I spent with Jan were the happiest days of my life. My love when you were born, the village celebrated your birth. You came in our lives with bundles of joyous events and I too kept thinking of never-ending upcoming events with you. Although, I too was a baby, yet, I loved and cherished every single moment with you. I still remember that cruel evening that took you away from us forever; if that evening had not come Then, things would have been different. Jan when whole village was searching for you and me and Mother found you lying inside the water tank with such beautiful smile and sitting peacefully as if you were posing for a photograph. I was literally shocked to see you lying there motionless and then Mother said, “Take him out of this water. I am not in a position to get him out.” Mother broke into tears, and she fell on the floor and sinks into unconsciousness. I was scared at the sight and I couldn’t control my depressed nerves. You were then taken to hospital by the villagers, we did every possible prayer, but nothing happened as you had left us early. When I was on the way to hospital, barefooted, I looked high into the sky and asked Almighty that I am scared of death and take me instead of Jan. I don’t want to lose him! I was not given permission to enter into the hospital, but I was told that he is fine and stable. I return to home with broken heart and shattered hopes. After reaching home It was a different scene than before. People of a different age groups had come there and tents were erected, and females were inside the tents sitting and crying. My cousin took me to the neighbor’s house, and it was the first time, I was witnessing any dead body. It was my Jan’s dead body. He was no longer with us. This was not the end of tragedies, but we were now without brother. His absence left us wounded and let people have pitied on us! We grew up, but we never called him dead, because we knew if not here we will be together again hereafter. Now, people were showing their false sympathies, and compassion towards us. There are still lots of claiming brothers, we respect them, but how could we respect their false pettiness. We can look after our parents, and we don’t need to marry any of such people who claim ‘I will be son of your parents and brother of your sisters’ we don’t need brother because we have you and no one can replace you. I don’t have words to express your importance and you will always be in our heart and sweet memories. 

The author of this piece is pursuing masters in English literature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soya Chunks Pakoda Recipe

SOLITUDE

How can we protect ourselves from COVID-19?